As the great prophets of yore so frequently said – ‘pesto is the besto’ and let me tell ya, they weren’t lying.
Pesto just makes whatever you’re cooking that little bit boujie-er, and is super for sambos, in salads, omelettes, the list is endless. What’s more it is really easy to make and a great way to use up any herbs that are starting to wilt. For this recipe you can interchange almost everything, for instance kale instead of basil and walnuts instead of pinenuts…
Anyway, hope you enjoy!
1. Peel the garlic, then blitz in a blender
2. Pick, roughly chop and add the basil leaves.
3. Add the pine nuts (very lightly toast first, if you like) to the mixture and blitz again, then stir in half the Parmesan.
4. Drizzle in some oil – you need just enough to bind the sauce and get it to an oozy consistency.
5. Add most of the remaining cheese, then season to perfection with salt and black pepper. Have a taste, and keep adding a bit more cheese or oil until you are happy with the taste and consistency.
6. Add a squeeze of lemon juice at the end to give it a little twang, if you like, but it’s not essential.