Not ones to #humblebrag, but these vegan sausage rolls are *the* best, most satisfying, little puffs of delights you are likely to try this side of 2020. Honestly, we challenge you to say otherwise.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C
2. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into small pieces about 2cm. Drizzle with a bit of oil, salt and pepper and roast in the oven.
3. In the meantime, saute the onion, garlic, spices and tomato puree to form a paste. Transfer into a bowl and allow to cool.
4. After about 15-20 minutes take the sweet potato out of the oven. It should be soft and starting to brown and crisp on the edges. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
5. Place the sweet potato, chickpeas and tomato puree mix in a bowl. Mix with the back of a fork or a hand processor. You want it to be mainly smooth with a few lumps for texture.
6. Add any fresh herbs you have
7. Place the puff pastry sheet on a floured surface or chopping board, it should be rectangle in size. Cut it down the middle lengthwise so you have to rectangle shapes. Divide the sausage mixture in two and place half each about 2cm in from the longest side of each piece of pastry. Now you are going to gently roll the pastry over the sausage filling until you reach the other side. Do this for both pieces and make sure the seam is on the underside.
8. Line the two sausage roll pieces together and cut across the middle so you now have 4 pieces. Then cut each piece into 3 so that you have 12 sausage rolls in total.
9. Place them onto a lined baking sheet. Brush each with plant based milk or butter and sprinkle on some of the poppy.
10. Place in the oven for 20 minutes until cooked and golden brown and try not to eat them all at once!
Happy cooking x